The Year in FavoritesDecember 11, 2011
I’ve enjoyed looking back at 2011 this weekend. What an interesting year, filled with treasured moments, like seeing U2 with my son, and surprising events, like having your company acquired by Facebook. I have a feeling I’ll be thinking a lot about what I’ve learned over the weeks ahead.
For now, let’s start with something simple—a quick look at some of my favorite things of 2011.
- Whatever’s on Your Mind, Gomez
- King of Limbs, Radiohead
- Belong, The Pains of Being Pure at Heart
- So Beautiful or So What, Paul Simon
- How to Become Clairvoyant, Robbie Robertson
- Slave Ambient, The War on Drugs
- Hurry Up, We’re Dreaming, M83
- Nine Types of Light, TV on the Radio
- Tourist History, Two Door Cinema Club (2010)
- Black Dub, Black Dub (2010)
- Bird by Bird, Lamont
- The Year of the Hare, Paasilinna
- The Lean Startup, Ries
- Love Wins, Bell
- Crazy U, Ferguson
- An Ethics for Today, Rorty
Other than the usual suspects like The New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Economist, and Weekly Standard, these are my favorite things to read online.
The ones I use and love the most.
- iA Writer — I love it so much I want a blue cursor t-shirt
- Instapaper — I spend more time with it than any other app
- Rdio — it’s completely changed how I try and enjoy music
- Echofon (Mac) and Tweetbot (iPhone)
- TextMate — yes, still
- GitHub — hosts this site, constantly innovating
- Things (Mac, iPhone) — this is the longest I’ve stuck with a task app
- Codecademy — of all the learning sites, Codecademy has the most potential
- Sprint.ly — beta just released, looking forward to trying it soon
- Wunderkit — coming soon
Thanks to the amazing city of Austin, this was the best year of concerts I’ve ever experienced. My list this year includes Mumford & Sons, Yeasayer, Two Door Cinema Club, Diplo, Matt & Kim, Preservation Hall Jazz Band, Widespread Panic, Lucinda Williams, U2, Coldplay, Arcade Fire, Gomez, and Wilco. It’s nearly impossible to pick favorites, but if my arm was sufficiently twisted, I would go with Arcade Fire, U2, and Wilco. Ben and I are counting down to Radiohead in March.
Also, ACL Live at the Moody Theater is my favorite concert venue ever. Beautiful space, fantastic sound, and a casual, friendly atmosphere.
I’m eagerly looking forward to your year-end lists over the next few weeks.